Dental Implants Bankstown
Expert Dental Implant Specialist in Bankstown
Dental implants Bankstown are an ideal solution for those who have lost multiple teeth due to trauma, or because of periodontal disease or decay.
Dental implants prevent the need to alter existing healthy teeth and allow for better stimulation of the jaw bone while providing a natural look and feel. Contact Smileline Dental Care for Dental implants specialists in Bankstown.
Missing Teeth Causes Problems As We Age
As we age, a greater effort is required to maintain our health and our appearance. While we may force ourselves to a strict regimen of diet and exercise, we often neglect our teeth and face dental problems as we grow older.
Teeth are prone to deterioration after many years of use. They can get worn down, chipped or cracked, and eventually lost. Tooth loss is sometimes due to physical injury but is more often due to prolonged periodontal or gum disease.
In Bankstown, even people with good dental hygiene over the years may face dental problems as they grow older. Many of the modern drugs we take as adults lead to dry mouth or other symptoms that impact our ability to fight cavities.
Even with good dental care in Bankstown, many older people face the loss of multiple teeth as they age. Having many missing teeth is not only a problem for how you look and feel, but can also be detrimental to your health. Replacing these teeth is very important.
Implants is Preferred Solution For Replacing Several Missing Teeth Bankstown
Just as with one missing tooth, several missing teeth can be successfully treated with dental implants. Implant-supported teeth are permanently fixed in the mouth, unlike removable appliances like dentures. They don’t slip or click, and there is no worry about them moving or falling out when speaking, eating, or participating in activities.
Because dental implants are placed directly into the bone, they help preserve the jawbone and prevent bone deterioration. Dental implants look, feel, and function like natural teeth, and can last a lifetime.
Benefits Of Implants Vs. Bridges
In the past, traditional tooth-supported bridges have been a primary method for replacing several missing teeth. However, using a bridge has several drawbacks:
- The bridge must be supported by adjacent healthy teeth, which must be ground down and capped. These capped teeth then are used to support the bridge across the space where the teeth are missing. The capped teeth are weakened in the process, and often fail over time, creating more dental problems.
- The bridge does not address the problem of bone loss. The bone in the area where the teeth are missing will continue to deteriorate and eventually cause other problems.
- Some spans of missing teeth are too large to be treated with a bridge.
- Most bridges last from 5-7 years before needing to be replaced.
Dental implants are placed directly into the bone where the teeth are missing, and do not involve the adjacent healthy teeth. Dental implants also prevent or reduce the further loss of bone, and can last a lifetime, making dental implants superior vs. a dental bridge.
Benefits Of Implants Vs. Dentures
Another traditional approach to treating multiple missing teeth has been to use partial dentures. These are appliances made of plastic and metal that clip to adjacent healthy teeth in order to fill the gaps created by missing teeth.
- Partial dentures are much more cosmetic than they are functional, and they still often lead to embarrassment. Many people who wear partial dentures say they are reluctant to smile, laugh or even speak in public because they are afraid their dentures may slip, or that the wires may show.
- Partial dentures can greatly impact your ability to eat what you like, especially in public.
- Many people do not like the feeling of metal and plastic in their mouths.
- Just like bridges, dentures do nothing to prevent loss of bone in the jaw.
- Many people tolerate dentures because they think they have no other viable options.
- Dental implants are a better solution. They are fixed in place, do not move, and eliminate the need to worry about your teeth. They are the closest thing possible to natural teeth. People with dental implants say they look better, feel better, and have more confidence. You will finally be able to confidently eat what you want and participate in desired activities.
The Dental Implant Process
The entire implant process is performed over the course of a few months. The first part of the process is to install the implant itself, where a screw is placed into the jaw bone. An incision is made in the gum so that the implant can be inserted. Multiple implants can be placed at once if necessary. After the implants are placed the gums are sutured.
The implant must be allowed about 3-6 months to heal, and during this time the jaw bone will form around the implant in a process called osseointegration. During this healing time, you can have temporary crowns installed so that you can eat and speak normally and maintain a proper aesthetic appearance for your smile in Bankstown.
After the implant has healed it is time to place an abutment on the implant. The abutment serves as the base for your new tooth. An impression of the abutment is taken and is used to create your permanent restoration (crown or bridge). Your smile will look just like it used to, and after a short period of getting used to the implant, it will feel just like one of your own teeth.
Our Experience and Expertise
Reach out for dental implants in Bankstown. We know it can be difficult selecting the right dentist for your family, Dr Nasser Elhage is one of Australia’s most well-regarded dentists focusing on complex dentistry and implant dentistry.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.